Tuesday 10 June 2008

Final steps in preparation

Organising a trip for multiple individuals across six countries (and two Special Administrative Regions) can be a total pain in the ass. Trawling through Chinese timetables and dealing with the Visa section of the Russian Consulate can be an arduous, albeit necessary, process. There is however one aspect of the planning that has been a complete joy: dealing with the International grappling community.

I have sent emails out to BJJ clubs in Shanghai, Beijing and Seoul and have heard back within a matter of hours from all of them. Everyone has been super accommodating and eager to help.

This is a phenomenon not limited to BJJ either. I have never in my life attended a Sambo training session, in fact I plain suck at leg locks. I know the difference between a knee bar and a toe hold but that's about the extent of my knowledge. Furthermore, I'm not American let alone a member of the American Sambo Association, yet this didn't seem to bother Steve Koepfer (the head of the ASA) one bit. He went out of his way to provide me with contact details for an ASA affiliate club, which will hopefully teach us the ropes once we get to St Petersburg, once again within hours of me sending him an email.

Although we're going to some pretty far away places with radically different cultures to our own it seems that the common language of grappling is not so different throughout the world. I think that the respect and friendship gained from sparring all out with some one is a hugely positive aspect of combat sports and these values are an unequivocal part of being a worthwhile human being, something which transcends cultural boundaries.

Here's a massive thanks to everyone that has helped so far, I'm really looking forward to training with you all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, what a trip! Really cool initiative! You're more than welcome in Tallinn, Estonia. :) Hopefully you'll get a nice kickoff for your challenging world tour.

Take care!

Daniel
Tallinn, Estonia

Anonymous said...

utterly sick!!!!!!!!